Tuesday, October 07, 2008

TMI Tuesday #155 -- The Seven Virtues

1. Prudence: When do you feel it is most important to exercise prudence? When is it acceptable to throw practicality out the window?

Being Obsessive-Compulsive, some misinformed people might think I try to be prudent all the time. I'm not. At it's heart, Obsessive-Compulsive disorder is an illness of irrationality dressed in the trappings of rational fears and responses. Besides, I only have mild OCD anyway.

My friends know this. We joke around and make jabs at each other. (Some of them might even say I have a sense of humour.) Sometimes they flirt, but they rarely take it seriously.

I think it is the most important to exercise prudence when the consequences can affect other people. For example, their health and well being. Politics is a second example. My opinion is that a voter who is not well-informed has the responsibility to not cast a ballot and not vote based on petty reasons.

2. Justice: Is a sense of justice really a virtue, or is only a tool that allows us to pass judgment on others without feeling guilty? What do you feel is the greatest injustice facing the world today?

I think this very much depends on the eye of the beholder. Imagine a society where Social Contract Theory or Consent Theory provides the basis for the rule of law. To a member of that society, a sense of justice might seem like a virtue because of all the reinforcing messages that person is exposed to. To an external observer however, it may appear to be a mechanism for passing judgment without experiencing the associated guilt.

The greatest injustice facing the world today? That's easy: the continued prevalence of human stupidity and indifference.

3. Temperance: All things in moderation. Should we allow ourselves a few excesses? How well do you restrain yourself when faced with your deepest desires?

A few excesses now and then are definitely allowable. What are our labours if not for our fruits?

Saying that, I think I restrain myself fairly well. I save what I can, and I don't spend beyond my means. I wonder if I've been too stingy. What is the purpose of wealth if you never use it to enrich your life or the lives of others?

4. Courage/Fortitude: How well do you confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation? Does facing the little things make you as brave as facing the big things?

I don't deal with these well. It's because of my obsessions. I usually get very anxious and I try to avoid my problems instead of confronting them. If small issues bother me, larger issues probably bother me more.

5. Faith: Is it important to have faith? How steadfast are you in your core beliefs? Do your core beliefs equate to faith in something?

I'm having some qualms about this question. Depending on the definition of faith it could mean very different things. Following from the first definition, I have no problems saying I have faith in my friends, or my ability to get out of bed and go to work tomorrow.

Given the second definition, I'm inclined to say it's foolish, possibly detrimental, to have faith. I wouldn't consider it a virtue in this case.

6. Hope: Does having hope for the future help you deal with the present? How good are you at finding the good in the bad? What is the thing you hope for most?

I suppose it does. I tend to daydream a lot, create a rough plan for my life. I think I try to examine a problem from all angles to find the good in it but I'm ultimately a realist. In a broad sense, I don't know what I hope for the most. In the short-term I'd like an easy Wed-Thu-Fri at work.

7. Love/Charity: How easy is it for you to give selfless, unconditional, and voluntary loving-kindness? How easy is it for you to receive selfless, unconditional, and voluntary loving-kindness?

I think I'm fairly good at giving selfless and unconditional love and kindness. Receiving is another story. I have a strong independent streak and I have difficulty accepting help from others, especially if it's unsolicited. I've surmised that I consider it an attack on my ability to fend for myself.

[Why is there no bonus this week? And what happened to the 'TMI' part?]

~The Muse

1 comment:

Bryi said...

"What is the purpose of wealth if you never use it to enrich your life or the lives of others?"

I'd say there is no purpose to wealth above and beyond what you need to survive unless you have a little fun with it -- either on yourself or others. Or a combination of both.

"Given the second definition, I'm inclined to say it's foolish, possibly detrimental, to have faith. I wouldn't consider it a virtue in this case."

Blind faith always irks me. I agree.

"[Why is there no bonus this week? And what happened to the 'TMI' part?]"

No kidding! And then they went overboard this week with 100% deeply sexual questions -- its like a pendulum. Someone needs to speak to their PR. :P